PARIS 2011



Paris, was one of my “bucket list” trips and the first trip away from Cairo. After the dust and dirt of the city, Paris in fall was a blessing. 

I decided to stay at the Hotel Eduourd VI which was perfect for my budget. It wasn’t in the inner ring, but the location was great. Lots of cafes close by for eating and the subway entrance was just around the corner. I was decidedly pleased with the room, it was small but adequate with a much larger than expected bathroom and free wifi … always a treat. The hotel staff was warm and accommodating and answered all my questions. 


I got to the hotel late in the afternoon so had plenty of time to unpack and then walk around my “neighborhood.” After leaving the hotel entrance, tucked in between shops and cafes, I started walking up the street to see what I could see. I looked up and yes, I gasped when I saw the Eiffel Tower! I know how Parisians feel about this structure, but it IS one of the iconic structures of the world and a must see for tourists like me. I don’t have any pretensions or snobbery when it comes to being a tourist. I dress comfortably but fashionably and don’t have the camera around my neck or the fanny pack around my waist. But I am indeed a tourist and I’m out to see the sights.  I didn’t walk to the Eiffel Tower that night, but it was first on my list for the next day. 

Upon waking in the morning, I did indeed set out to see the Tour Eiffel. The hotel was next to a subway entrance but I wanted to walk. It was a long walk and with a few missteps I made it. It was a great walk indeed … beautiful fall day! Cool, crisp air and leaves beginning to change. What a delight after the heat and dust and dirt of Cairo. After arriving at the ET, it was crowded as I had expected, I purchase the pass to go up and see the view. I did not have a desire to go the top but was perfectly happy with my view from the middle platforms.  And what a view! I went back later in the week to see the Tower lit up for the evening. That was also quite a treat. 

I did all the expected touristy things, including: 

*Walking amongst some of the historical cemeteries
*Hearing the bells of Notre Dame
*Boat tour on the Seine
*Walking the many bridges of the Seine
*The museums…even with the lines, well worth the wait for an art lover 
*Arch de Triomph
*A walk along the grand shopping street-Champs Elysees. It’s full of large chain shops but it was a treat to see the beautiful shops for Chanel and Dior
*A day trip to Versailles. I think my favorite part of the palace is the gardens and the Petite Trianon…Marie A.’s humble little country retreat

*The daily rest at a cafe for coffee and pastries. I loved that a person could sit for quite awhile and just enjoy people watching with their coffee and treats. As a solo traveler I do this a lot! 


SOME SNAPS TO ENJOY...NOTHING FANCY! 
































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Maldives

LISBOA JAN/FEB 2020

FLORENCE 2014