FLORENCE 2014


Dante quote
https://naturalitaly.wordpress.com/2013/09/24/dante-quote/

Oh beautiful, beautiful Florence! Years ago in college I had several courses in Humanities which introduced me to the art and architecture of the Renaissance. I was enamored of the Renaissance period. So why not go to the birthplace. I chose a lovely hotel, sort of a cross between a boutique hotel and a BB 

It was a tad difficult to find from the airport. It's on a little side street off one of the main piazzas. The door sign is barely visible. The hotel is located inside a renovated building and the rooms are scattered across several floors. I think there are around 10-12 rooms in total with a small sitting/breakfast room. It's self service and great for a cup of quick coffee in the morning. 
My trip advisor review: https://en.tripadvisor.com.hk/ShowUserReviews-g187895-d272543-r199342333-Relais_Cavalcanti-Florence_Tuscany.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT






One of the main things about Florence: almost everything is within walking distance...long walks to be sure, but still walking distance. I couldn't have asked for better spring weather: lovely blue skies and just cool enough to be comfortable. Of course it's Europe so food costs can be high, but I dine like a budget traveler. Eat a quick breakfast at the hotel with snacks for munching; a simple lunch and then maybe a splurge at dinner. 

Highlights:

  • Museums
  • Museums
  • THE DAVID...really, what else is there to see
  • Food
  • Museums
  • The Duomo
  • The River!
  • Museums
  • Gelatto
  • Cafe's
I basically made no set trips and just wandered at will. The only organized tour I booked was to the largest museums and this was to avoid the long lines...expect that. As we toured Galleria dell'Accademia, the pull towards El David is almost tangible. We were walking in a long gallery with several unfinished sculptures knowing that David was towards the end. I had to admit that I kind of just skipped these sculptures and headed straight towards THE MAN. BREATHTAKING INDEED! It's amazing that he's just right out in the open with minimal barriers. He's something else.
 A favorite relaxing meal was spend along a little bar/restaurant along the Arno at sunset. It was happy hour so munchies were free. So I made a meal of the munchies and the cocktails with prosecco. Let the rest of the story be told in pictures: 












































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Maldives

LISBOA JAN/FEB 2020