Athens 2012



Athens was my third big trip from my first year in Cairo. I chose Athens because it was close and  I only had 4 days…long weekend. At that time, Athens was in the news a lot because of all their economic issues. I figured even better, things would be quiet and it was indeed quiet. All the major sites were open but not crowded at all! Best way to see them in my opinion. It was chilly but the sky was blue…no rain that trip.

 Once again, I lucked out with the hotel. I chose  the Athens Gate Hotel  because it was off season, I’m sure the price was well below a normal season cost. It was close to the Parthenon, within walking distance.
I came in late at night and after dropping off my bag, I decided to pop up to the top floor lounge for a small bite to eat and drink (always costly) but the view was breathtaking: The Parthenon lit up at night! I had been to Rome and Turkey and so I'm well aware of the wonders of the ancient monuments, but the Parthenon at night is simply spectacular. 

Trip highlights: 
  • The Parthenon, Acropolis and surrounding museum
  • Greek food
  • Seeing the Carytids: the originals are being restored in the Parthenon Musuem
  • A day trip to see the Temple of Poseidon and the the supposed tomb of Minos (I may be a bit fuzzy on my Greek history)
  • Trip on the subway to the other major museum
  • Wandering all the lovely touristy shops in the Plaka district. Great deals on beautiful jewelry. I still have some bracelets and a lovely silver and blue stone owl necklace
  • Dinner at Daphne's...I was all by myself except for the waiter.  
Wish I knew how to take better pictures at night

View from my hotel room























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Maldives

LISBOA JAN/FEB 2020

FLORENCE 2014