AMSTERDAM 2012





Let's start with this picture, because, well AMSTERDAM! 



My first year in Egypt I was a travel maniac! Every vacation I went somewhere which meant for funds depletion down the road…but I digress.  The first part of 2012 meant that I had 3 separate opportunities to take a trip: Athens in January; Nile River in March and Amsterdam in April. Why Amsterdam?? I wanted to visit at least 1 place in N. Europe and for me Amsterdam meant tulips, Van Gogh and museums. I had read that April would be a great time to visit the Keukhendorf Gardens outside of the city to see the tulips. So that was decided! Plane ticket purchased and hotel booked. This time I did a package … usually I book separate, but this time a package was a great deal.  I ended up staying outside of the city due to a cost savings but with the ease of public transport this was no great burden. I stayed at the WestCord Fashion Hotel. Here’s my review:



Great hotel with a spacious room and bathroom. 






It was a bit of a haul from the airport. Usually I just book a taxi but in an effort to save a little I tried the train which by itself was very easy as the train station is part of the airport. Once I departed the train it was a bit tricky finding the hotel even with directions from the hotel. I got turned around. Several calls and lots of steps later, I arrived. Just in time for a drink and a sleep. 

Woke up refreshed the next morning and ready to see the city. Also easy very easy to get to with a tram/trolley service stop a short walk from the hotel. Armed with a good map, I set off. The ride took about 30 min to the city center. From that point it was quite easy to get around to the museums, food, gardens, food, canals and various other points of interest. Amsterdam is easily one of the nicest, friendliest places to get around. Highlights included:

  • Rijksmuseum
  • Van Gogh Musem
  • Anne Frank House...I recommend buying tickets ahead
  • http://www.annefrank.org/
  • Canal tour
  • Cheese shops
  • Keukenhof Garden
  • http://www.keukenhof.nl/en/
  • A day trip out to see the cheese factories and windmills (yeah it's a little "cheesy and touristy" but still a fun thing to do
  • Wandering the streets and finding all kinds of INTERESTING shops and special cafes. ;)
  • Oh and the FRIES
  • And the waffles
  • CHOCOLATE TOO! 
Some days were cold and cloudy and some days were gloriously blue. The first day was spent, as mentioned, wandering around the city square and visiting museums and then booking day trips to the Tulip Garden and a day trip to see farms and windmills and cheese shops. Did I mention that gouda is my favorite cheese?? I would just go into shops to smell the cheese! FOOD DELIGHTS:




Of course there were a few surprises: the Red Light district and the special coffee shops. I had heard about them but wasn't really sure what I would encounter. One minute I'm just wandering down some charming street, then I turn a corner and "HELLO LADY IN THE WINDOW!" I'm certainly not offended by this, but given the uptightness of my own country it's a surprise to just see right out in the open.  I was not quite brave enough to head into one of the special coffee houses for a smoke, but I did walk by several and take a few deep breaths. HEEHEEE. NOPE...no pictures of the ladies or the cafes. 
A day out in the country side...so lush and green. 




The canal tour was a highlight. It was a nice day and quite pleasant to be in a small boat motoring around the canals. The architecture is quite charming. 



Another highlight is Keukenhof Gardens. I love tulips and was happy that the garden was still open. It was quite cold and a bit rainy, but still the flowers are spectacular as the pictures show. I never knew there were so many kinds of tulips. 





Of course the most emotional day was the last day...also cold and rainy. First I decided to get a haircut and color and then head over to the Anne FrankHuis. I highly recommend buying tickets in advance. I did not and the wait was over 2 hours, in a light drizzle.  I was not fully prepared for the emotional impact. I cried the most upon seeing her small room that still had some of the cards and pictures she put up on the walls and the guest book at the end. 

Lovely trip and one of my favorite places in Europe. I know a lot of people also like Belgium but I was quite happy with my journey to Amsterdam. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Maldives

LISBOA JAN/FEB 2020

FLORENCE 2014