TRAVELING ALONE...BUT NEVER LONELY

Photo via: 
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/03/07/travel-quotes-international-womens-day_n_4914415.html

Traveling alone is exhilarating! No one knows you, guides you or is protecting you. You are your own guide and protector.  The first time that I woke up in a hotel room and walked out the front entrance and looked both ways was a joy. I had never done anything like that. I shocked most people at home by saying I was going out on my own. The way I figured...try it once. If I didn't like then I wouldn't do it again. If I did like then nothing was in my way (other than the finances of course)

Most of my travels, almost all in fact, have been as a single, woman traveler. The first trip alone was to Costa Rica in 1992, and that doesn't really count as I was training for the Peace Corps and stayed with a family. But it sure taught me a lot about being on my own. The strangest thing that happened on that little journey: I was traveling from my "home" in San Jose to my potential station for the Peace Corps, a little city along the eastern coastline. I got on the bus for what I thought would be the whole way...NOPE! The bus driver stopped along a high way, no houses in sight and told me I would need to walk the rest of the way!!!  WAIT-WHAT!!! Well, that is what I did. Started walking with my wheelless luggage. Eventually someone stopped and I told them in my broken Spanish where I need to go. I got there safely, bedraggled but safe. If I could do that, then everything else must be easy!

I didn't travel again until about 6-7 years later when I decided to go to Rome and Venice. I had seen the movies "Roman Holiday" and "Summertime" and felt that maybe if I went to these places, I might just have a little Roman Romance...ha! NO!!! But of course, I visited 2 of the great cities in Europe. It didn't even occur to me that I couldn't go alone. I arranged everything through an old fashioned Tour Group Office and away I went.  I researched what I needed to be aware of as a solo tourist. Basically, just keep away from dark alleys at night and avoid certain places; dress wisely and keep the cash hidden. All good tips that I continue to follow to this day. And those Roman Romances never happened. To this day I follow these tips when traveling alone:

1. Read up on the city/place you are visiting. There are many sites that will offer up tips for women travelers.

2. Dress wisely and somewhat modestly. I know a woman should be able to wear what she wants, but dressing modestly just makes good sense.

3. I keep my alcohol consumption to a minimum.

4. Only carry the cash that I need.

5. Use a small, across the body bag for essentials. 

6. Always know your surroundings. 

I have never felt unsafe in any of the places I have been. In fact, I blend in so well that I've been approached by other tourists assuming that I was a native. :)   This happened in London, France, Budapest, Amsterdam and two Russian women asked me if I was Russian as I was waiting in front of the Glasses Market in Beijing. 

I'm not an expert packer but here are a few tips: 

1. Of course, research the weather for your trip and what is appropriate, especially if you might be visiting religious sites. 

2. Have some large baggies for clothes that will need washing. I keep my undergarments in these. 

3. I don't use packing cubes, I use the stack and roll method. 

4. Always pack something in case of rain... always. 

5. Your toiletry kit should have at a minimum:  facial wipes, a small first aide kit, lip balm, OTC meds for pain and sleep, Pepto Bismal or something akin, something for tummy troubles-both stop and go, a small nail kit, tools for quick glasses repair, and a sewing kit. Some hotels provide the bare minimum only for washing up, so I also include: lotion, shampoo and conditioner. I like the travel shampoos from Lush. They can double as a body cleanser. And of course the obvious toothbrush and paste. My favorite toiletry bag is  something like this. It keeps everything organized. It does take up some space in the luggage though. 

Image result for compartment toiletry bag

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Maldives

LISBOA JAN/FEB 2020

FLORENCE 2014