Oh boy!!! Bangkok!!!





I had long wanted to visit Bangkok but got distracted by other visits. So when 2 dear friends who live outside of Hong Kong invited me to visit in the fall of 2019 I jumped at the chance. I'm just going to say what others have said...Bangkok is NOT for the faint hearted or hesitant traveler. Here's a word cloud to sum it all up! 



I'm also very glad that I went with my two dear friends, Carol and Jason. I met them in Cairo years ago and we have had many adventures over the years either in pairs or the 3 of us: Alexandria, getting lost in Cairo (also not for the faint of heart), Dahab (drinking on the rooftop and looking at the stars), Florida, the Maldives, several trips in Hong Kong, Bangkok and most recently New Zealand (to be reviewed later). Jason considers Bangkok and Pattaya his second homes , so he was eager to play tour guide. We are all great big eaters so this trip was a lot about food (and other things). 

Jason selected the hotel and it was perfect for the most part. In a great part of town-close to food and all sorts of other attractions. Here's the hotel review. There's a great coffee house just around the corner from the hotel along with a nearby pharmacy, a few ATMs and about 1000 7-Elevens. 😂😂 Trip Advisor review below: 


I was on my own for the first part of this day as I arrived about 12 hours earlier than J&C. I decided it would be a good time to visit one of those ever present, tourist markets filled with stuff made in China. It's an incredibly large market and easy to get lost in. But I love these kinds of markets. Just know that there will be lots of stalls selling the same type of items and be prepared to bargain. It was quite warm and humid so I went first thing. Purchases included: a few bright sarongs (ubiquitous in the SE Asian countries), some silver anklets, aromatherapy, magnets (the other must have memento along with the Starbucks mug), and various other small items. Also had some coconut water and coconut ice cream. 


By the time I got back to the hotel, my friends had arrived. So next up, visiting a few major parts/neighborhoods, and lots of eating. Much of this trip was spent eating, drinking and visiting, well, uh...adult night clubs. Lots of fun was had. Definitely go with an open mind. It was all fascinating, fun and seedy at the same time. 

Carol and I ventured out to a few places on our own. We took a 1/2 day trip to see some temples and a palace as well as visiting another market along a street...eh, not much there as well as the Floating Market, which is DEFINITELY touristy but still fun. 












FOOD and FOOT MASSAGES! 

Honestly, 2 of the best things about Bangkok-food and foot massages. Thai food is one of my top 3 worldly cuisines. I'm partial to pad thai and tom yom soup. Most nights, we just wandered the streets till we found a place we liked, sat down to order and each chose several dishes to share. Eat we did! And the meal was only complete with coconut water. 





The other daily activity included foot and shoulder massages and I have to say that the Thai version of the FSM is the best! I'm relaxing now, just thinking of it! There are dozens of these places along any street. Most of them have the same price, so we just looked for relatively clean shop. Easy to do.  Just find one and then sit back and enjoy. 





To sum up, I'm glad I went to BKK with my pals. They made it fun. But I'm hoping to visit another spot in Thailand for a different perspective. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Maldives

LISBOA JAN/FEB 2020

FLORENCE 2014