The Maldives



This trip was sort of a last minute journey for me to see friends. I was reluctant because of the cost and length and how many people were going: me, the 2 dear friends and 3 more people I didn’t know.  That, for me, is way too many people. But I forged ahead and decided that I could travel to see them, but there was no real need to stay at the same hotel ... which was a tad on the dumpy side. And the island of Dhiffushi is very small. It was about a 15 minute walk between the hotels.
So, the Maldives. Wow... from first glance, I was thinking paradise. Hmmm...not so much. There ARE indeed paradise resorts. Not our island! So my friend was all about seeing the local culture but the local culture included no booze, and lots of dirt and garbage. I suppose the island of Dhiffushi is no different from any other poor fishing village that you might find around the globe. I had a vision of paradise but found less than that. I got over my initial disappointment and enjoyed what was at hand- several lovely, clean beaches with white sand and water as I have never seen before. Beautiful colors.  We came at the start of rainy season and it did indeed rain every day! We had one relatively blue day and quickly set up our snorkel trip. That was amazing! Even with a massive sunburn. I swear, I could wear a bee keeping suit and still burn.

The hotel I chose to stay was the Ameera guesthouse. At first glance I was again disappointed as I was expecting something else.  But it was entirely adequate-clean and relatively quiet with helpful staff. However...NOT ON THE BEACH! Which I was expecting. Oh well...the beach was close by. I’m going to emphasize, that if you want an inclusive beach resort island, do your research. Dhiffushi is a small island, with lots of dirt and noise. You are part of a very poor economy. Walk out and visit with people. Eat the food, wander around the little village.  If I had a choice, it would have been nice to do this type of trip for a few days and then take a quick boat ride to the sister island which IS the resort. Here is a link to my hotel review on Trip Advisor.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g6855151-d11435509-r621370266-Ameera_Maldives-Dhiffushi_Island.html

The guesthouse had a decent menu: lots of fish, tuna, and dishes like curry and kotthi, and rice dishes similar to Malay meals. Errf... no real coffee though. Just the ever yucky Nescafe. One day I will remember to pack a small french press, grounds and a mug. My coffee... MY WAY! My favorite breakfast was a few slices of toast and papaya.

The island itself is rather dull- no nightlife, no booze, so just go with it. Have a lot of books and just sit on the beach or explore the island a bit. The hotel can arrange excursions which are a bit expensive, but worth it. The group went out on a half day snorkeling trip. LOVELY!

Look at the pictures below, as they tell the story.























SOME VIDEOS TO ENJOY







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LISBOA JAN/FEB 2020

FLORENCE 2014