BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL BALI

picture and quote found here: http://quotesgram.com/bali-quotes/

Bali was my second foray out into the world...1999. I had always wanted to go to Thailand, without really knowing why. A colleague at the bookstore I worked at part-time, was also a flight attendant suggested Bali instead. So off I went to a travel agent. The agent worked out a perfect trip for me with the hotel and the side tours. She suggested Sanur over Kuta Beach and I'm glad she did. Much quieter and to my personal tastes. This was the longest flight I had even been on: Phx-LA-Hong Kong-Bali. I'm not sure how I survived, but I did. I don't remember much about that flight except what I wore (why I remember that, I have no idea): khaki skirt, pink cotton shirt, and Birkenstocks. I have since learned NEVER to wear wrinkly cotton items on a plane, unless you want to look like an unmade bed. 

I'm hoping to find some photos from that long ago trip and post them, but that may not happen. 

Landing in Bali, the airport was unlike anything I had seen. It was hot and damp, and smelled tropical! I remember the drive to the hotel and rubbernecking as we drove through the villages. The hotel was the most luxurious place  to me. I had a great big room all to myself, that overlooked the hotel pool. 
Here's a link to the resort that I stayed at, though surely it must have changed in a decade and a half since I stayed there. 

http://www.aerowisatahotels.com/hotel/prama-sanur-beach-bali

It was off season so there was a sense of complete serenity! I loved getting up in the morning and being the first one to the outdoor breakfast buffet. With coffee and a book and view of the water I could sit for hours. This was probably my favorite thing to do. Other touristy things included:


  • temple visits, especially Uluwatu which is a spectacular temple overlooking the ocean. Naughty monkeys inhabit this place and the guide encouraged me to take off my glasses. I did not listen and had them snatched right off my face from one of the aforementioned monkey. We traded glasses for bananas. 
  • A tour through the central part of the island with views of the rice paddies and visit to shops. There is beautiful silver jewelry to be had and other lovely local crafts
  • Balinese arts are not to be missed and I highly recommend seeing the dances and puppetry shows. 
  • The food is typical for the region: fresh fruit and chicken satay and of course rice dishes. All very healthy
  • Snorkeling is a must. Though, my first attempt at this was less than fun. It was rainy and cold and the water was extremely choppy which led to some major seasickness. I remember practically falling out of the boat and crawling to a little hut to lay down. 
Bali is one of the few places that I will go back for a visit. Circumstances, mainly financial, prevent me from going to previously visited cities or countries. The goal is to visit and see something new with every passport stamp. However, now that I'm living in Bali, I might head down for another visit. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Maldives

LISBOA JAN/FEB 2020

FLORENCE 2014