Budapest 2010

BUDAPEST

In 2010 I had decided on Eastern Europe for my next trip. But where: Budapest, Vienna or Prague. The popular thing was to take a trip to all 3 cities, but time and money meant that I had to choose 1. A friend, who had been to all 3 felt that I would really like Budapest based on my trip to Istanbul.  So I booked the ticket and then went on to my favorite hotel website for the crapshoot that is “finding a nice but yet budget” place to store my luggage and rest at night. I lucked out and found the Hotel Castle Garden. It is on the Buda side of the river and very near the Buda Castle district. The room was spacious and the bed was soft with exceptional linens.  It was off-season so it was very quiet. The Hotel was a quick walk from the main transportation hub of subways, trams and buses all very easy to navigate.

I really liked the Buda Castle area: very charming with museums, cafes and little shops, pricey but picturesque.  As a coffee drinker, finding any shop with pastries and a latte was my dream stop.

I have to admit that Budapest, while I’m glad I went, was NOT my favorite city. I don’t have a burning desire to go back. It was cold and bit dreary … maybe late spring or early fall would have been nicer. I didn’t find the people of Budapest to be all that friendly either. Though, one lady stopped me in the subway and asked in Hungarian if I knew how to get to a certain place. Once again, I blended in.

The museum in the Buda Castle area was nice for a day visit on a rather cold snowy afternoon. I also enjoyed the typical Hop On/Hop Off bus trip. Other things I did:
*River tour
*Market area
*Lots of coffee drinking
*Lots of walking and wandering
*Visits to several cathedrals
*Visit to a Jewish Temple

I honestly can’t think of much else to say about this trip…enjoyable as any place can be, but not my favorite place in the world.  Pictures below tell some of the story. 


MY FAVORITE COFFEE HOUSE

ARTS AND CRAFTS FOR SALE




MY FAVORITE CAFE...BOOKS AND COFFEE!!!

THE HOTEL

THE HOTEL NEAR BUDA CASTLE

ENTRY INTO BUDA CASTLE

A
NICE VIEW 

GOING DOWN THE STREET FROM THE HOTEL



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Maldives

LISBOA JAN/FEB 2020

FLORENCE 2014